Saturday, August 3, 2013

Chad Vaughn Program Follow up #2


I am two weeks in to a new four-week program.  My portion of the programming was a bit simple and crude.  I had reached my back squat goals so I have moved on to moving my front squat up.  My goal is to front squat 300 for a triple.  I am snatching and clean and jerking up to maximum on two separate days.  Based on Chad Vaughn’s feedback, I had added in jerk and pressing work to improve my stability in the overhead position.  This included behind the neck jerks for triples, strict behind the neck presses for fives, and high elbow strict presses for five reps also.  Each rep was to be held overhead for a three count.  Aside from a lack of overhead stability in the jerk, I was also getting out of position a bit in my pull from the floor.  Chad’s remedy for this was a boat-load of Romanian Dead Lifts. 

Clean Grip RDL




 Snatch Grip RDL



RDLs with a snatch and clean grip were programmed to keep my back strong and make me feel the correct positions for each pull.  I love the RDLs.  The first week, my numbers were very low, mainly because of the novelty of the movements.  But week two the numbers moved up drastically and week three even more. 

A bit of a setback after week two, fell upon me.  I am no stranger to training pain, or injuries even, but the my shoulder is giving me fits.  My AC joint (acromioclavicular) feels like a honey badger is gnawing on it.  To get very technical, the AC joint is the pointy little boney thingy on the top of your shoulder where the shoulder blade and collarbone connect.  When inflamed, which mine is, it causes difficulty raising your arm overhead… quite the problem.  I don’t mind pain, but I am concerned that it may progress over the next few months and limit my improvement.  As a result, I had to put any overhead stuff on hold.  Enough complaining.  I have just finished up a deload week and can’t wait to snatch and jerk again.  I will check back later for more updates on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment