Tuesday, July 23, 2013

My Coach is a Fool


I have a fool for a coach.  He is a nice enough guy.  But we started lifting at the same time.  I am my own coach.  While I study technique and physiology fiercely, a coach would be much better for me.   In the absence of a good quality coach, I get on forums, send my videos to coaches that I trust, and analyze my own technique.  Coach Mike Burgener has been a great resource.  I have sent videos to him, and he has kindly and astonishingly responded the same day each time. Greg Everett has responded on his forum, as has Glenn Pendlay on his.  All three have helped to make me a better weightlifter and I am very appreciative for that.  Recently though, I stumbled upon a website featuring distance coaching in weightlifting for a fee.  The Training Plan would charge $50 for this service.  I would normally just pass right by such an absurd offer, but this was from a legitimate source, Chad Vaughn.  Chad is a 2-time Olympian, 6-time National Champion, and the American record holder in the clean and jerk in the 77 kg weight class.  Even if he says, “great lifting”, it is worth the chance to have an American weightlifting great, critique my lifting. 

SNATCH


CLEAN AND JERK


BACK SQUAT


FRONT SQUAT


OVERHEAD SQUAT


PUSH PRESS


DEADLIFT




I sent him videos of my snatch, clean and jerk, push press, front squat, back squat, deadlift, and overhead squat, all in the 75% range.  His initial response was encouraging to say the least.  He responded, “you are looking very good overall!” and that I am “far ahead of the game” compared to other videos he gets.   He did feel (like I do) that there are a few things that need some work.  He asked me to send him lifts closer to my max, which I did.  Happily, he said my technique was “even better than [he] originally felt!”  He felt my most pressing issue was the need to slow some things down a bit.  My pull from the floor was a bit quick, as was my dip for the jerk.  My impatience in the pull and dip caused me to get out of position for each movement.  By slowing down, I would maintain tension and become more consistent in my lifts.  He gave me some reading to do and prescribed a few exercises for me.  My homework was specifically designed to maintain my position in the pull and improve my overhead position in the jerk.  I will give the details and my progress later.  I will also let you know how my follow up with him goes.  I am very excited to see my improvement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment