Saturday, June 8, 2013

Why?


Why am I writing a blog?  I am writing this blog because I do a lot of reading, but seem to do very little writing.  As the mirror on the wall shows you the reflection of your physical being, the written word is the mirror of your mind.  Until you write it down somewhere, you really don’t get a chance to see what it looks like.  If you are an unclear thinker, it is very easy to see when it is staring back at you on the computer screen. 

Another reason I am writing a blog is that I love the sport of weightlifting.  As a beginner, I want to write about my trials in this sport.  I intend to post some training videos of this novice lifter trying to get better, talk about my evolving training philosophy and diet, and record my journey of chasing “old gold”.  Old gold is my affectionate term for competing at the Masters level.  Masters competition in the sport of weightlifting starts at the age of 35.  Who knew that you could be considered an aged athlete at 35!  Oh well, I don’t write the rules.  However, backstage at an open meet which allows competitors of all ages, I sure feel older.  I don’t move the way a 16 year old moves… or a 20 year old… or 25. 

Yet another reason for this blog is to try to capture at least one more fan for this seemingly unnoticed sport.   A sport that is really two in one.  The first is like a golf swing… with weight, and the second is like putting your refrigerator in the attic by yourself.  Weightlifting does a lot of things great, but it seems to fall short on a few things.  I will muse and pontificate on what would be done if I were King for a Day in the world of weightlifting.  I will try to simplify it for non-weightlifters and try to make it interesting. 

So a quick summary:  I will write for the sake of writing, chronicle MY story like a true narcissist, and try to win over fans for a fantastic sport.  I hope that you enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment