Saturday, June 15, 2013

Competition Builds Character


Why compete?  Why put yourself through the potential embarrassment, the possible ridicule?  Great question, I am glad I asked it.  My list of competitive endeavors in just the athletic arena is pretty vast.  My success in them all is a little spotty.  Like so many, I played little league baseball, and on up through high school.  The amount of success I had directly mirrored the mediocre effort I put forth off the diamond.  I threw the ball with my brothers, hit a couple of rocks out of our gravel driveway, and went to all of the practices.  That was about it… and it showed.  I played basketball in a recreation league and played middle of the road.  NBA scouts were not fighting over a 5’ 7”, non-jumper.  I played football my senior year in high school, but spent most of the season wondering where I was supposed to line up after the play was called.  In college, I had a short stint with racquetball and was fairly successful for the limited time I spent.  I practiced like crazy for a couple of hours per day.  Golf -- the most difficult sport I have attempted -- required immense work for modest results.  Yes, I cheered in college too… I am not afraid to admit it.  Precisely half of the team was women… great choice.  I completed 5k runs, did a triathlon, got smashed in a CrossFit competition, and competed in one Jiu Jitsu tournament. 


In the past couple of years, I have lifted in 5 weightlifting meets.  I have improved quite a bit from my first competition to now.  But after taking a little time off from competing, I am getting ready for a meet this November.  I have never been so driven to compete in my life and I don’t know why.  I don’t really care why I guess, but I do know that I have been very consistent with training and have trained harder during this period than I ever have in my life.  My numbers are climbing, I am getting stronger, and I am more consistent.  I think I am seeing a pattern.  I work hard consistently, bring huge enthusiasm into the gym, and I get better.  It’s a simple equation.


I guess there are some take home messages to be gleaned from this brilliant piece of work (too much?).  If you get up every morning, work hard, and do it wisely, you improve.  Not exactly news.  The bigger lesson to take away is that competing builds character.  Having something that you are willing to claw away at, repeatedly punch in the face, and relentlessly attack, just for the chance of winning, builds work ethic.  When you build work ethic, you are better.  So why do I step out on a platform with a loaded barbell, while three judges and a small crowd watches?  Because nothing is as rewarding as working hard and getting results.  Competition is like goal setting.  Beneficial goals need to be realistic and meaningful… meaningful.  I like winning, but I hate losing very badly.  This is a great reason to compete because it makes the goals meaningful.  It means something to stand before a group of people and perform, and not fail.  So sign up for that 5k a year from now, get in the CrossFit Open next year, jump into a weightlifting meet.  The experiences are fun and they will make you a better person.  

No comments:

Post a Comment