Saturday, June 22, 2013

What Are You Training For?


I was once a personal trainer.  I am so happy that I have recovered from such an ailment.  My job required donning a polo shirt that was a little too tight with the word “Trainer” on it.  Some thought that the shirt was like Superman’s cape.  Once pulled over our tanned arms, we had at our disposal, all knowledge in the physical realm.  Truth be told, plenty of them know very little.  They know how to adjust the machines for your arm and leg length, and they can count up to ten repetitions.  These are the people you trust with your goals? 

Most people have very nebulous goals:  lose weight, feel better, and look better.  Other than the weight loss, how do you quantify this?  Far too many people just show up like factory work.  They go to the gym, lift, do cardio, shower, and repeat intermittently for many years.  They go with no real purpose (goal!).

This video has nothing to do with topic, but it is cool!



I am going to make the case for more tangible goals.  I am clearly biased toward pushing up your back squat, front squat, snatch and clean and jerk.  Pushing these numbers up helps with my medium term goal of performing well in an upcoming weightlifting meet.  To be completely transparent, my goals for the Masters American Weightlifting Championship in November are quite high for me.  I plan to snatch 100 kg (220 lbs) and clean and jerk 130 kg (286 lbs).  I posit that in order to achieve these numbers, along with improving my efficiency in the two lifts, my squat numbers must improve.  In order to have the strength to perform, my back squat needs to be about 159 kg (350lbs).  In addition, my front squat needs to be around 150 kg (330 lbs).  I have planned out almost a year in advance, with quarterly goals in all lifts.  With these shorter term goals, I keep track of my progress regularly.

I suggest that you make some more tangible goals, no matter what your long term plans are.  If you are a runner, pick mile split times.  If you are a weightlifter, make goals for your lifts.  If you are only interested in your physique, pick some weight training numbers, or miles walked, or number of days straight without eating Little Debbies. If you tie your goals to quantifiable stuff, the other things will follow.   Make the goals very tangible, doable, and MEANINGFUL.  If you don’t believe in your goals, they are useless.  Make goals, stick to the plan, and you will get better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment