Friday, January 10, 2014

Major in the Major, not the Minor


I am going to pick on this idea of randomized training just a bit.  I have fallen prey to its allure before myself.  It sounds good, that if I train hundreds of things randomly I will get overall, more fit in the long run.  The idea that I can train jumprope one day, back squat another day, snatch, run, swim…. and keep going down the nearly infinite list of skills to be perfected, that I will eventually get good at them all.  The truth is I will still be terrible at each.  The problem with this approach is that I never really practice anything enough to become proficient at it.  It takes thousands of quality reps to really master something or even perform it fairly well at least.  I think that this “practice it all” approach is too much to handle.  Most of these skills are just arbitrary trivial tasks to some extent, until you have built your engine.  You are majoring in the minor to some extent.  I would prefer to major in the major.  Really get good at the proverbial “meat and potatoes” before concerning yourself with how many one-legged overhead squats you can perform with the barbell.  How about learning to squat way below parallel without your knees caving in?  So below is a list of minors you need not concern yourself with until years of good eating, sleeping, and training:

-Carbohydrate timing (morning, post workout, before 5pm?)
-Is the workout the perfect one?
-Supplements
-Heart rate during training

Major things to major in instead:

Sleep 8 hours per night uninterrupted
Eat primarily meat, veggies, and fruit
Don’t eat until you are stuffed
“Earn” your carbs with activity
Make your training point toward your goals
Have goals
Major movements in your training (squat, press, pull)


No comments:

Post a Comment