Monday, November 11, 2013

So What?!!!


A friend of mine, just the other day asked me for some fitness/nutrition advice.  It was not the kind of in depth, technical stuff that I really geek out on, but rather a more common problem for most gym-goers.  She said, “I have a problem.  I am not really feeling the gym thing right now.  I don’t feel motivated to go in and train.”  I paused for a moment to gather some wisdom from the recesses of my mind… didn’t happen.  I warned her in advance that this was a total man answer, and there would be more of a follow-up comment to the seemingly callous response.  I responded, “so what?”  Her face spoke volumes.  Sensing that she was not happy with my response, I elaborated.  I asked if she ever wanted to just get into her car and drive for the mountains to escape her two whining children?  She responded honestly, with a yes.  I said, so what?  We both agreed that running for the hills might feel good in that moment, but it was not ultimately happiness or progress inducing.  That is what GROWNUPS do... we don't primarily rely on our emotions to make decisions.  Reliance on just emotions to make good decisions is like relying on low bar back squats to make you stronger, or like relying on Miley Cyrus to make a good role model for your daughter, or politicians to make your life better, or garlic to freshen your breath, or ice cream to help you lose weight... it doesn't work.  

All of us face things daily that we would just rather not do, yet we press through like adults.  I love my job, but I would rather stay home and lift all day… so what?  So below is a good starter list of easily solvable problems with that magic phrase.

  1. I know that you would rather not hold the door for the person behind you… so what?  Don’t be a hateful troll.
  2. You want to drive in the fast lane, below the speed limit… so what?  Move!
  3. You don’t want to take a job that is “below you” because you have a Masters degree in Bulgarian Polka and you are waiting for the right opportunity to pop up… so what?  You chose a stupid degree and listened to your idiotic professors.  Start flippin’ burgers Polka boy.
  4. Oh, you were dealt a bad hand in life, so you just want to lie down and blame the world for your problems… so what?  I am so sorry that your idea of a setback is that harder working people make more money than you.  Maybe you should make better life choices and stop playing with Pokemon cards in your spare time… you are thirty for God’s sake!!

If you are a weightlifter, or have interest in strength training at all, these are two great projects coming out.

AMERICAN WEIGHTLIFTING

Greg Everett




THE ARTIST & THE OLYMPIAN

No comments:

Post a Comment