Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Master a Skill


Recently a colleague of mine wrote an article called “The Jack”.  It was a fantastic article referencing being a “jack of all trades, master of none”.  He was writing of his account of current firearms instruction in law enforcement.  His points all ring true across the spectrum of skill building.  While reading it I couldn’t help but to think of a current trend in fitness.

There is a trend abound of becoming a jack of all trades, and not focusing in on any one discipline.  Such disciplines might include running, weightlifting, swimming, powerlifting, gymnastics, etc.  The broad focus includes still a full time-range and strength range.  By the way, before CrossFitters start throwing fruit and gluten free snacks at me for knocking their training regimen, I am not.  I think that CrossFit’s philosophy is wonderful for building overall fitness (GPP).  I was a full time Greg Glassman adherent for five or six years, starting in 2004.  I counted my almonds and weighed my bacon on an electronic scale for a couple of years.  I have the figurative and literal t-shirt.  I read all of the journals, when the founder wrote them all.  Glassman, early on, regularly encouraged participants to gain competency in the lifts, gymnastics, etc.  Competency… proficiency, expertise, skill, aptitude.  How do you gain competency in a skill?  Trust me, it is not in the middle of a 40 minute, all out, seeing stars, conditioning session.  Kelly Starrett of The Mobility Wod, said practice makes permanent.  The colleague, I mentioned earlier, gave me an analogy, or metaphor, or something apropos of this subject.  I will adapt the story for my needs here.  He said, imagine that every time you performed a good repetition of the snatch that you wrote on a card “good rep”.  Every time you did a bad one, you wrote, “bad rep”.  Now put yourself in the middle of a 30 repetition for time snatch workout.  How many cards of each will you put in the pile?  If you predominantly train this way, what kind of cards are you placing in the pile over the long haul? The next time you train, what cards will you pull out?  You will extract the ones you have trained yourself to.

There should be a time set aside to build competency.  It takes hundreds of GOOD repetitions to make good solid habits.  Once the heart rate elevates or the weight gets heavy, you will sink to the level of your training.  You will not rise to the occasion.

Take the time to master your craft.  Have a long-term training plan… 5, 10, 15, 20-year plan.  Get really good at the movements.  It will improve your performance and keep injuries away from your doorstep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment